It has been ten days since my mother died. Ten days of tears. Ten days of thinking too much. Ten days of disbelief. Sometimes I feel as if someone has taken my heart out of my chest and replaced it with a ten-pound rock. Sometimes I feel as if I'm someone else, living in my house, doing my job, but not thinking my thoughts or feeling my emotions. Sometimes I feel like my everyday, normal self, then all of a sudden, it's as if I've just heard the news, and I am paralyzed with grief and incredulity.
I have been surprised by the tears. There are so many. I knew I was emotional, that I could cry easily, but I didn't know I could cry this much. A friend's comforting words or a hug bring them on, of course. So does the sudden remembrance. Then they fall as if from a spigot, cups-full at a time. And this is not a quiet cry, mind you; on the contrary, the grief pours out of me in loud sobs and cries that I hardly recognize as my own. My broken hearts, my grandmother's death, the betrayal of friends, even the passing of my beloved feline companion of seventeen years can't compare to this. At middle age, the loss of my mother feels like the loss of the biggest parts of my soul, body and spirit.
I just miss her so much.
Popular Posts
-
Tonight I was watching a Barbara Walters show where she was talking about her and others’ experiences with open heart surgery. It drew me in...
-
I’ve been reading a little book by Henri Nouwen. In Memoriam is a tiny volume that he wrote in response to the death and life of his mother...
-
Yesterday a friend and I drove down to Mom’s and cleaned out her bedroom and bath. It was a bittersweet day: physically demanding and emotio...
-
Dear Mom, Happy Mother’s Day. I know you are not HERE, breathing the air of Earth with me, but you are HERE, in my thoughts, in my soul, in...
-
A few days ago, my stepfather and his daughter packed up and drove away with almost everything out of my mother’s home, including photos of ...
-
I’ve been thinking a lot lately about how to properly mourn Mom. That probably sounds strange if you haven’t thought about mourning from a p...
-
Last night after I posted “Christmas,” I began thinking about how I couldn’t find joy, not even in knowing He lives, and therefore, my mom l...
-
I’ve been thinking a lot about my mom lately. So many things about where I’m living now, Belgium, remind me of her. We were together in Ge...
-
The hardest thing to handle is the unbelief. It simply can't be real. This. Can. Not. Be. Real. This thought invades my brain: "I...
-
I went down to Mom’s last night to pick up one of her dogs to take to a friend who wants him. Part of Mom’s legacy to me is her love of anim...
No comments:
Post a Comment